Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash Wednesday

Return to me, says the Lord of hosts, and I will return to you, says the Lord of hosts. Be not like your fathers whom the former prophets warned: Turn from your evil ways and your wicked deeds.
-Zechariah 1:3b-4b





Thank God for this holy season of Lent. Today is a day to fast, to detach from our day to day lives, to reflect and pray, to examine our consciences, to begin the penances we have chosen. We turn away from the things of this world not because they are necessarily bad, but because we as human beings tend to get filled up with them and forget the spiritual. I know I need this annual re-conversion, especially this year. We detach from even the good so we can receive Him who is the source of all goodness.

In our house, I always make the same no-nonsense stew for Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Prep work and cleanup are minimal, so even our one meal doesn't provide much distraction from the spirit of the day.


Lenten Stew

1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 carrots, sliced
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
1 qt vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups brown lentils
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper


Combine above ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until lentils are tender. Stir in:

1 can diced tomatoes, undrained

Cover and cook on high 20-30 minutes or until stew is hot and blended. Serve with parsley and grated Parmesan cheese. Serves 6.

2 comments:

  1. I discovered your blog!

    And that sounds delicious. Probably most anything would today, though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie! I'll take that as a compliment, I guess. Glad you found me.

    ReplyDelete