Friday, March 16, 2012

More Project Progress and Enchiladas

I'm writing this post... in our new office closet!  Hurray!  We're moving along in our home improvement goals.  Here's the before and after:


More gigantic holes to fix.


New outlet installed next to the desk, and all patched up and painted pretty!  Ryan found the desk next to a dumpster on our block and repaired the bottom shelf.  It's perfect! As we move into sorting out the bedroom proper we will figure out some clever way to put the big blank walls in here to good use.

Though we are making steady progress, as my patient husband constantly reminds his impatient wife who always wants to have everything done two weeks ago, there is no way we're getting all this stuff done by Easter.  (That is, Anthony's "big boy" room.) It's okay though.  I always kind of figured on that, knowing that everything always takes longer than anticipated, especially since we're learning as we go, and we're very talented procrastinators by nature.  The new baby will be in our room for a couple of months at least anyway, so it was never imperative.  I would like to get all the painting and things requiring the use of power tools done before baby, and I think that's still very attainable.  But probably not all the sewing and prettying up type of things.  Those can be added whenever, really.  Anthony's not going to care if his bulletin board matches his curtains.  Or if he even has curtains.  I shall stop being stupid and not stress.

I don't have energy to spend worrying about what we haven't done right now anyway.  I'm too sleep deprived.  Crazy pregnancy dreams and stupid leg cramps and occasionally Anthony keep waking me up.

Oh!  Lest I get sidetracked into a complaining fest, I forgot to show you our "home theater":


Yep, it's just the computer.  With my feet in front of them.  We can wheel the desk to the end of the bed and watch movies now.  Much more convenient for when I inevitably fall asleep!

Finally, I made these enchiladas for the first time on Tuesday, and they were so good that Ryan requested leftovers on Wednesday night instead of waiting a bit.  They were super easy too. 

Chicken Enchiladas (from Taste of Home)


  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon dried coriander
  • 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, divided
  • 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 8 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese

Directions

  • Melt butter in a large saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in coriander and half of the chilies. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, Monterey Jack cheese and remaining chilies.
  • Spoon 1/3 cup chicken mixture onto each tortilla; roll up. Place seam side down in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour sauce over enchiladas. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
  • Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
I think this would be a great recipe to turn to for a quick meal-delivery, which I've been needing fairly often lately.  It's a casserole for easy transportation, but NOT LASAGNA.  It's also not spicy at all; we topped it with hot salsa to taste and it was delicious.  It's also a good way to use up leftover roast chicken and stock.  Ryan's not a big soup lover, so I often find myself with a freezer full of stock that I can't use as fast as I make it. All in all, a keeper!

Happy Friday, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I miss our laptop. You could have a movie anywhere you wanted. I always watched on in bed on nights when Anthony had to stay at work all night and I couldn't sleep. You must have a very tidy cord setup with all your computer cords. We have so many of them and it's such a spaghetti bowl that there is no way we can move the computer.

    I laughed about the "Not Lasagna" thing. I truly appreciate people brining me meals, but I get so tired of the various interpretations of lasagna that I'm given. The enchiladas sound yummy. I'll have to try that with the next chicken I roast.

    We have the opposite problem with soup at our house-Anthony loves it so much that if I run out of stock and we haven't had soup for a week, he's practically ready to roast a chicken himself.

    ReplyDelete